Wednesday, February 7, 2018

Mixing Bouquet Colours


I love playing with colour.  It is probably one of my favourite aspects of cardmaking outside of the actual colouring.  When you see a beautiful pulled together bouquet like this my first question is always - what colours should I use?  I usually like to be quite realistic when I’m colouring, so I’ll often look up the types of flowers in a stamp set and and go from there.  But with this bouquet from Power Poppy called Pure Prairie Spirit,  I wanted to create something a little more cohesive, where it feels like all the pieces work well together, even though all the flowers are unique.  

I knew I wanted the Coneflower to be yellow and the asters a blue shade.  Because yellow and blue are both primary colours they work well together.  With the yellow coneflower being the largest element in the bouquet I knew your eye would go to that immediately, and I wanted some other colours to help balance out the bright yellow.  Opposite of yellow on the colour wheel is it’s complementary colour purple, so I used some purple in the other flowers, and also added some purple tones into the blues.  This all helps to pull the bouquet together and make it look like it fits together.  Placed on a dark navy panel, it really helps the flowers pop.  


Here you can see more closely where I’ve added parts of one colour into other pieces of the bouquet which also helps tie it together.  


Inside the card I added the butterfly from the set, and a different sentiment from Verve called Scripture Medley 2, that I used the other day on another card.  I must love it!  


Save

7 comments:

missypope said...

Wow, what a beautiful card, love the colours you have used, this is absolutely stunning, thanks for sharing xx

dobbs100 said...

Christine, what a gorgeous card and a beautiful use of colors; it’s such an uplifting card! Thanks for sharing I gotta.

Helen said...

This bouquet is lovely. Your color selection and placement work together so well. tfs

Conniecrafter said...

Beautiful, I am still trying to figure out complimentary colors, and what looks good together, your coloring is just wonderful!

CherylQuilts said...

Christine, this is gorgeous! Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts about how you chose your colors and how it then all balances out. And I love the scallops and the navy card base. Of course, I absolutely love the Scripture verse you used inside -- a very precious promise from God! Warm hugs, sweet friend! xoxo

Leslie Miller said...

Beautifully done, Christine, and reading your explanation was a treat. I, too, love playing with color, and Marcy's digis make it even more fun, being able to enlarge them for even more enjoyment. You've also made a beautiful card design with the scalloped frame and bit of border inside. Such delicious art you've created!

Stacy Morgan said...

Beautiful! I think the cone flower looks fantastic standing out and the scallop frame is a favorite of mine. Beautiful card.