Monday, March 27, 2017

Drywall Dust and Renovations

Hi there friends!

Right now we’re in the middle of a bathroom renovation.  We gutted the basement bathroom to renovate it this week because it’s a week of vacation for us.  So, you can imagine me right now with drywall dust clinging to my eyelashes.  We really hope to have it all finished by the end of this week, but everything takes so much longer than you’d like it to, thus, my creative time is lacking right now!

In the spirit of the “renovation” theme,  I thought I’d show you a collection of cards that have been sitting in my photo files, but I’ve hesitate to show them to you.  They are creations I made where something isn’t quite right about them to me.  I’m hoping that maybe you have those off days too in your card making too.  Maybe these cards also need some renovation!  :)




First up is this pretty flower by Power Poppy from the set, Prairie Cheer.  I love echinacea, or coneflowers!  I love their pretty deep pink blooms, and earthy centers.  I had wanted to use my Prismacolor pencils for a change, so I pulled them out to colour this design.  I like elements of the card....I like the layout, the fun pennants and the buttons, but there’s something funky about it to me.  I think maybe I shouldn’t have coloured up the sentiment (but it’s such a sweet one right?), or maybe it’s the pink and yellow combo that makes me unsure, or how the flower looks perched on the outside edge like that....  



Regardless...reno or not....it’s still a thoughtful card :)  So, I’m sticking with that.  

Next up some MFT for a masculine birthday.  


I’ve loved these cute cows from the MFT set, The Whole Herd, and I knew I wanted to do a grouping of them to work with the cute sentiment from the set.  I masked a number of them together like they’ve come over to say Happy Birthday!    I like elements of this card too, the fun dots in the background to mimic their dairy cows spots, and I like the more neutral palette, and yet something feels off to me about this one too.  I think it’s the addition of the green grass and yellow hay paired with the black and white, and despite my best efforts, my colouring with black Copics always looks too sharp to me, like I haven’t blended well.  



They are so cute though aren’t they?  Below is the inside of the design with a few more cow spots.  



This one used a ton of Copics to colour...


And finally, a really simple design for a sympathy card.  



This card design uses Power Poppy’s set Soothing Sympathy.  I actually really do like this card , but it is very CAS, and sometimes I wonder if it’s “enough” to show you, know what I mean?  I like the embossed layer, the colour palette, and the pretty additions of the vellum.  It’s soothing I think.   

So, now I’ll get back to the reno’s downstairs, and catch up with you soon, I hope! And, hopefully, with no drywall dust in sight!  Thanks for your visit!



Save

4 comments:

KarinsArtScrap said...

beautiful cards Christine and those cow image is fantastic.
Gr Karin

Conniecrafter said...

These look great, I love the highlighting of the sentiment with the pretty flower in the first, pretty design and layering. Love the fun cow card, this is fun :) Your last card is just lovely and I think we all like to have those cards that are clean and simple and you have great inspiration here.
Good luck with your renovations :)

Leslie Miller said...

What a wonderful collection of cards, Christine! I love the arrangement of flags and buttons on the first card. Nothing looks funky to me, honestly. I do know how I can see my own cards in a certain way that nobody else would even think about, so I guess you're the same. I absolutely love the cows, and then I also really like how you used the rosemary image on the sympathy card. Pretty vellum bow, too.

Traci M said...

We did a bathroom Reno almost a year ago. My husband said it'd take 2 weeks, I said 2 months, and it ended up being almost 3 months from very start to finish. Just a lot of returns and plumbing issues!
On to your cards...i like all 3 and these would all certainly be blog worthy!! I am always stumped with design layouts...coloring and picking out papers is good...but putting it all together...so I appreciate seeing more simple layouts and design. The cow card is super cute and creative...maybe add a yellow button to the 2 gray ones to tie the yellow hay in? And your sympathy is my very fave! Thanks for sharing, Christine!