Friday, September 18, 2015

Olive and Oak



Did you see this downright amazing new illustration from Marcy on Wednesday?  Be still my heart!  If you haven’t, let me clue you in.  It’s called Olive and Oak and it’s so beautifully done!  I just love the combination of the oak leaves, acorns, olive leaves and the olives.  The symbolism is so significant on this set too - with the oaks symbolizing strength and the olives symbolizing peace.  I think it will be amazing for all types of cards, and not just in autumn either.  

I just loved colouring this one up bringing life to the elements.  I honestly used SO many Copics to colour that I didn’t take a photograph of them.  Can you see the one leaf that’s more silvery?  When you flip olive leaves over they often have this silvery colour to the backside,  and I wanted to capture that in the design too.  

I inset the design using the stitched square die to both cut the main image and also set it into the green layer.  


I really loved playing around with my embossing paste and a Tim Holtz stencil to create the background coppery layer of the design, finishing it off with gold metallic sequins.  





Here’s the team showing off this design today!

Allison Cope
Christine Okken 
(you are here)
Cindy Lawrence
Julie Koerber
Leslie Miller
Stacy Morgan



7 comments:

KarinsArtScrap said...

wowwwww gorgeous Christine fab colouring
Gr Karin

CherylQuilts said...

Oh, Christine, you're right about this beautiful image - the meaning and symbolism is so wonderful, and I can see using it for many kinds of cards. And, wow, do I love your great layout with the inset image. What gorgeous coloring (of course, my friend), and the detail is amazing with the shimmer on your olive leaves. I love the mixed media background - still trying to get the hang of that...and dare myself...haha! But it truly works so beautifully with this card! I love it! Hugs!

Sue L. said...

Your card is absolutely exquisite Christine. Beautiful. Like the silvery touch you added. Love the TH embossing paste but not familar with how it looks or how you apply it. Can you show us please? Also liked yr stitched die!

Stacy Morgan said...

Christine this is so pretty and cool! That embossed funky background is so cool with the leaves. Wonderful fall card.

Leslie Miller said...

Beautiful, Christine! Amazing to see such different cards from everyone with the same image. Love this one with the background you created. Awesome coloring, of course!

Allison Cope said...

Oh Christine, it's stunning! Your detail is amazing - especially your little acorns! Wonderful Autumn card!

Paulette S said...

Really beautiful, Christine!
http://paulettesprettypapercrafts dot wordpress dot com
since google thinks its a great idea to keep me connected to a blogger profile for a blog moved to wordpress in 2012, won't delete or edit it or allow me to do so...