Monday, September 23, 2013

Tender Cards

A few weeks ago a family in our Church lost their husband/dad/grandpa.  We know 3 generations of this family, the wife, children and have the grandkids in our youth ministry.  It's so hard to lose someone who was really influential in a family.  One of the most touching things they said about him at the funeral was that "whatever his grandsons were interested in, he was interested in".  What a beautiful statement of love isn't it?  I made 2 cards for the different parts of the family that I thought I'd show you today.  


I made this card for his wife.  They were such a pair and did everything together.  She told me the story once of how they met.  She was a teller at a bank and he came in as a customer.  He would wait in line to get her as his teller and one day he asked her out.  And that - was that :)  This lady is pretty special too.  She is always willing to work with our girls ministry teaching them how to prepare relief items for some hospitals we have in Africa.  So she helps teach us how to roll bandages, and sew squares to send overseas.  

I stamped the beautiful Anemones onto Flourishes Classic Ivory cardstock with Memento Tuxedo Black ink.  I added colour with Copics (New Violet and Olive Green Collections) and then stamped the sentiment in Memento Elderberry ink.  Then I trimmed the piece slightly so that some of the Anemones were "out of the box" style on the edge.  


When doing cream on cream cards I almost always add texture to give it that bit of extra interest in the layers, so you can see I embossed the background and added some pretty ribbon strips and a little gem.  

Now for the card for the children and grandchildren I used the same stamp set, but coloured it differently.  


Rather than colour the anemone, I coloured the background in deep wavy layers of purples leaving the flower more cream.  I've trimmed it with a Spellbinders Deckled Edge Rectangles and added pointillism in the background similarly to the other card.  This time however, I also used a blender pen to dot the background and "lift" colour dots too.    You can see this card also includes Evergreen Color Made Easy cardstock and seam binding.  


I love the sentiments in this set.  They are so heartfelt and just what I want to say to people!  

Thanks for dropping by today!  

9 comments:

Marisa said...

Gorgeous flowers and card.

TLady said...

HOW LOVELY CHRISTINE!!!!!! I'm SURE your friends will APPRECIATE your thoughtful care to these cards of encouragement!!!!!!!!!:)

Allison Cope said...

Wow Christine! Some very beautiful cards! I love the dark back ground you created for the second one - so striking!

Wanda Cullen said...

These are such stunning creations and totally love your coloring! So sorry to hear of the loss of such a special man!

Darlene Gabriel said...

Oh wow, these cards are so beautiful. I love how you've done these flowers. These sentiments are wonderful.

Conniecrafter said...

Sounds like very special people and they will all really appreciate your thoughtfulness with these cards, they are just lovely with very special sentiments on both!

Bobbi-spapertrail.blogspot.com said...

Both cards are just beautiful Christine. Just gorgeous. I am sorry to hear about the family's loss and the loss of the church community. Blessings....

KarinsArtScrap said...

very beautiful cards Christine.

greetings karin

Cheryl O said...

Your cards are just gorgeous!!! So stunning.....and the color choice is just perfection.

I'm sorry to hear of the loss of your friend.