Saturday, June 1, 2013

Photography 52 - 22

We had a very full week here, a track meet, a symphonic band concert, a 14th Birthday Party, landscaping and outdoor building projects....so I have a number of pretty pictures to show off.


I've mentioned this before, but I'll explain again - our daughter plays in a symphonic band at school that is one of the best in Western Canada.  Symphonic is a step up from a regular concert band in that they play every day at school all year, combine grade 10 - 12 students, and play the kind of music you'd hear at a symphony or on a movie soundtrack.  They play at a level that you would never guess they are highschool students.  Some of these kids will go on to be professional musicians, or in symphonies around the world.  It is one of her great loves in school.   They end each year with a huge concert at our world-renowned city concert hall (it's so beautiful).  And the sound in that place is amazing.  So, this week was the concert and these were just a couple of shots I took.  They wear tuxes and black dresses, I put her hair up and she looked beautiful.  I caught this one above quickly of her before she raised her music stand :)  That's their conductor just on the right of the screen and he's amazing.  They adore him too.  


And above there she is in action.  She's right in the front and center playing first flute.  I feel very delighted at the opportunities she's been given in playing in this band and for this conductor.  



We love birds :)  We have 3 different bird feeders in our yard and really enjoy watching who's coming over for a nibble.  Blue Jays are often there, and they are a gorgeous bird - but sheesh they're picky and scoop out of the feeder what they want, dumping the rest.  They make such a mess!  And that leads to mice, which I really DON'T like!  Anyway - my husband's been doing a lot of work in the yard and this shovel handle was laying in a way he could just perch on.  Doesn't he look like he's posing for me?  


The 14 year old :)  We had a family party for him this week.  Just a nice shot I took of him that night.  


I wish this shot did this pretty butterfly (a swallowtail?) justice.  There was just too much direct sunlight to have it really show off all his colour, but he was waiting there on the spruce tree so I could grab a quick shot of him.  


And this is some of what my beloved worked on this week.  We took out two double flower beds we had at the edge of our deck to replace them with some benches my husband made and some new flower beds we'll plant out too.  My guy did a really great job.  :)  They still need staining, but that will happen this week.  It adds storage to our back yard and a nice spot for people to sit too.  

And that's a little of our week!


8 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
TLady said...

SUPER PICTURES CHRISTINE!!!!!!! :) I KNOW what you mean about being proud of your kids! :) It comes with "mommy-hood!" :) AND the Blue Jay & Butterfly ARE BEAUTIFUL!!!!!! :) You'd LOOOOOOVE ALL the different birds & butterflies we have here! AND your back yard looks GREAT TOO!!!! :) I'm SUPER PROUD of my hubby's handiwork too! Yesterday, he put in more garden area for us! :)

Marisa said...

Graet pictures as always :) How wonderful your daughter is playing at such a high level!! She looks gorgeous all dressed up :) We have stellar jays here and they are nasty little birds, but sure pretty to look at! Great shot of your son and well done on the yard work!!

Rosy Newlun said...

Adorable kids!!!! You must be so proud!!! Hope your new flowers grow soon!

LanaM said...

I love seeing kids so involved in music, and such supportive parents. I started music very young myself, and I'm now in my 60s and still going strong. Just got my undergrad music degree in 2003, and grad degree in 2010. Did my instrumental conducting internship with my university's Symphonic Wind Ensemble in 2007-2008, so I'm VERY familiar with the repertoire/etc. (I'm guessing you're in Vancouver -- I'm in Bellingham, WA, just across the border).

And of course I LOVE your cards! You have such an eye for color.

Stacy Morgan said...

Wonderful pictures Christine. I played the flute in HS as well. I am sure she is much better than I was though. ;0) Your son looks so handsome and 14. Oh my.... Can't wait to meet everyone soon. YIPPEE!!!

Cheryl said...

Oh my...and you are a fab photographer, too! The butterfly photo is unbelievable! And, your daughter is talented AND beautiful. Love how you fixed her hair.cute shot of your handsome son, too.