Thursday, February 28, 2013

Tweet


It's a fun Friday today at Flourishes!  The Senior DT is showing off some of our favourite things.  It's a great time to bring out something you may not have seen for a while and show it off again. I know you'll enjoy it.   

I have spring fever ...and a real longing for those warmer days that are coming so I pulled out one of my favourite spring themed sets today. 


This is the set Spring is Sprung.  I have always liked sets that have birds or eggs and this set has both (plus cute bunnies)!  I've paired the image with some new papers in the store, MME - Unforgettable, and some Color Made Easy Emerald Coast Cardstock.  

I'm so glad that Flourishes is now carrying our own Classic Kraft coloured cardstock!  One of my favourite things to do on Kraft is to use prismacolor pencils.  So today I thought I'd show you one of my techniques for getting lovely color on Kraft.  


Here is the image stamped with Memento Tuxedo Black ink onto our Kraft.  It's a lovely buttery Kraft colour, not too pale, and not too dark.  Kraft tends to absorb quite a bit of the colouring with prismacolors, so I've started laying a base coat of white colouring before I add any other color.  This serves two purposes, it gives the paper that waxy base to smoothly blend other colour on top, and it gives you built in highlights you can use too.  


After I've laid down white, I just go about my merry little way adding layers of the other colours I'm going to use, soft blues on the eggs, greens on the leaves and browns in the nest and branches.  See how the white you already used gives it pop?  And you can use the white as a last coat to blend a little too.  I did not use any OMS or blending tools with this card, just straight colouring and I think it works because of the base coat of white. 


Here you can see I added some soft white and soft blues to the sky around the image, then for accent - some pretty wood buttons, ivory jute twine, ruffled ribbon and some satin-finish green.  I added some pretty embossing from the embossing folder Courtship in the background.  

Definitely says spring to me!  

Now you can head on to visit the rest of the Design Team to see what their Friday Favourites are today. 

Make sure to give a very special welcome to someone lovely who's having her first day with the Senior DT today too....Amanda!  

23 comments:

KarinsArtScrap said...

what a wonderful card Christine, thanks for the tutorial.

greetings karin

TLady said...

I LOOOOOOOOVE this Christine!!!! LOVE the Kraft Cardstock AND the way you've colored it!!!!!!!!! WOW!!! I've GOT TO try this!!!!!!!! :)THANK YOU for showing us!!!!!!!!! :)

Joan V said...

Oh Christine, this is fabulous. Thanks for the technique tip on coloring on Kraft color paper. I need to try this. I am so ready for Spring too.

Karen McAlpine said...

Great coloring technique! Super sweet card.

Tricia T said...

Christine, your coloring on kraft is gorgeous! Thanks for the tip about using a white base coat of color. I'm going to have to try that. I really like your cluster of buttons in the corner - it's a great touch!

Have a fantastic day!!

Tricia

Emily Keaton said...

I just love seeing what you do with your colored pencils, Christine! This technique is absolutely stunning :-)

Marisa said...

Lovely mix of colours and I love the way the focal image is on kraft!! Lovely card with a great reminder of spring to come :)

Dianne said...

Beautiful,great tutorial thanks so much for sharing with us....

Mary Ann said...

Beautiful card,Thanks for sharing...

Anonymous said...

Beautiful ...love the coloring!

Anonymous said...

Love this technique. TFS Have a great week-end. Hugs n' Stuff, Lynne

Linda Carson said...

Beautiful springtime card! Love the look of coloring on kraft paper! Thanks for tips.

Diane said...

Such a pretty spring card....love this stamp set!!

Conniecrafter said...

so pretty, thanks for the tip of applying white first, I have been wanting to try coloring on the kraft... neat layeirng of the dies too, and like the use of natural buttons with this image!

Lynne said...

Very spring, pretty distressing

Amanda said...

Christine, this is simply STUNNING!! I love your creative and beautiful Prisma technique! It really softens your image and makes it so dreamy, ! just love that :)

Stacy Morgan said...

Awesome coloring with the prism pencils Christine, this is spring at its best. Beautiful.

Allison Cope said...

Totally lovin' your card this week Christine. I SO want to try the kraft and pencils for sure. Love the highlights from the white pencil. Gorgeous work!

dpkennedy said...

Beautiful coloring Christine and a lovely card! One of my favorite sets!

Cheryl said...

Christine, this is so pretty! Fab coloring, and I love the ruffled ribbon topped with the green ribbon. Thanks for sharing the tip of using white pencil on kraft first. It really does make a difference.

mjbest said...

Love the card. You do such a fabulous job of colouring and blending. I wish I had your talent. Thanks for sharing with us.

Heather Rogers said...

Stunning! I love the chalky look around the image and the button trio just finishes it off. :)

Lori Craig said...

Oh. Wow! Love your pencil work on kraft, Christine. This is stunning!